This is one I got bored with and decided to get a little psychedelic with. I made it three years ago, and it looked like this….
So I painted the top pink, and added some more grunginess, but then the pickguard didn’t go with it so well, and so I made a new one for it. Don’t worry, I only use records that have become more or less unplayable. This one was also missing the second disk of the album. I also aged the bridge and pickup covers, and made a new switch plate from an old die-cast metal 45 rpm adapter. Oh, and some vintage Heathkit audio knobs so the controls can be set to the heart of the sun, of course.
Body: Four piece salvaged beech, hollowed
Neck: Bolt on, hard maple, with black locust fretboard
Pickups: Dismal homespun humbuckers
bridge~ 7.3K ohms
neck~ 6.0K ohms
Bridge: Compensated stopbar tailpiece
Pickguard: Vinyl LP record.
Weight: 7.5 lbs
Another Salamander, this one with a yellow poplar top with a gouged surface, on a buckeye back with a hammered and antiqued finish.
Neck is walnut, with an osage orange fretboard.
.82″ thick at 1st fret, .93″ at 12th. 1.68″ nut width.
Pickups are homespun humbuckers with alnico 5 polepieces, in aluminum casings.
Bridge~ 5400 turns per coil, 8Kohms DCR
Neck~ 4800 turns per coil, 6.8Kohms DCR
Brass compensated bridge/tailpiece combo and Hipshot classic tuners.
Weighs 6.5 pounds
Haven’t done one of these in a while.
Top is one piece of salvaged chestnut barnwood, on a cucumbertree back with a hammered finish.
Neck is maple, with an osage orange fretboard, medium C-profile, .81″ at 1st fret, .90″ at 12th. 1.68″ wide at nut, 2.18″ at heel.
Bridge pickup is a homespun T-style single coil with alnico 5 polepieces and 12,000 turns, 9.6k ohms dcr.
Neck pickup is a homespun humbucker in a machined aluminum casing, with alnico 5 polepieces. Front coil has 6,000 turns, back has 4,000. Total dcr is 7.2k ohms.
Hipshot Classic open-back tuners, Kluson USA tuneomatic bridge.
Tailpiece is made from a 1950’s Ford V-8 fender emblem, strung through the back.
Pickguard is made from a 1973 Tennesse license plate.
Weighs 7 pounds.
i haven’t played much music in a while, but i recently ended up playing bass in “Rock of Ages”, a broadway musical from 2010, playing at the Arts Center of Canon County , so i decided i needed a new bass. i had the body and neck mostly done already, as i had started them a few years ago and never got around to finishing them.
the body is butternut, with a 1/4″ bookmatched knotty eastern red cedar top.
neck is birdseye maple, with a persimmon fretboard.
the bridge is a thick brass hardtail i have had for a long time, and i don’t remember where it came from.
front pickup is a razor sinle coil p-bass
rear pickup is a humbucker i made. the coils are built like jazz bass pickups, with 8000 turns on one coil. and 12,000 on the other, with a coil tap at 8000.
the three position switch gives a heavy humbucker, a hot j-bass bridge, and a classic p-bass sound.
weighs a little over seven pounds, which my shoulder likes a lot.
finally gave up wrestling with the previous web hosting.
haven’t been able to log in to update the website in months, so i just scrapped it and started one of these things where it is a website and a blog.
still figuring out how to put it together.